Many patients come to us because of a complex diagnostic picture or a treatment-resistant condition that has presented a confusing clinical dilemma to psychiatrists, other mental health professionals, or family members. These referrals vary widely but include patients such as the following:
- A young adult who struggles with growing up and becoming independent from the family for reasons that are not entirely clear
- An individual who has highs and lows that do not respond to the usual treatments and presents a question regarding bipolar illness vs. complex features within the personality
- A middle-aged or elderly person with chronic depression that does not yield to antidepressants
- A couple that feels stuck in a longstanding impasse of misunderstanding and blaming leading to chronic unhappiness
- A family that is filled with intergenerational strife and feels paralyzed to change
- A complicated dual diagnosis situation where significant substance abuse clouds the diagnostic picture to the point that it is difficult to determine where the substance abuse leaves off and the impulse-ridden behavior begins.
- An aging man or woman who feels that cognitive decline is interfering with efficient function in the workplace and family problems are emerging around the concern for the individual.
Individuals like these and others come to Alliance Assessment Center in Houston, Texas for a three-day multi-disciplinary psychiatric assessment. They will be seen by our evaluation team for clinical interviews, receive a comprehensive battery of psychological testing from a senior psychologist that examines both neuropsychological functioning and personality features, and benefit from collateral interviews by our clinical social worker of previous treaters and significant individuals in their lives. At the end of the three days, we will provide a verbal report followed by a clearly-written document that explains the diagnostic picture and offers a highly specialized, individually-tailored treatment plan to the patient. We take the protection of your privacy and confidentiality very seriously. If the patient is referred by a mental health provider, we will collaborate with the referral source regarding the next steps in treatment. If the patient is self-referred or referred by family, we will assist with finding a skilled provider in the geographic area where the patient lives. If more comprehensive treatment is required, we will help the patient and family to locate a treatment setting that is optimal for the patient’s care.